Wednesday 16 September 2015

Song Of The Seam Designer Feature Interview

-->
 Hi everyone! i really love looking at handmade designers i have deep appreciation for their talented work! today i have here an interview with Melanie the owner of Song Of The Seam.

what inspires your designs?

A real mix of things, its very random. Fabric, embellishments, even the stitch types on my sewing machine will give me an idea for something and Ill just run with it and see where it ends up.

how did you start designing did you go to school?

No, I literally just decided one day that I wanted to learn to sew, bought a sewing machine and started to make things! Once I had learnt the basics of sewing I began to experiment with putting my own designs together and things just progressed from there. Now I sell my products online and also do some freelance work writing tutorials for sewing and craft magazines. 






do you have any advice for anyone thinking ongoing into the same field of work?

No matter what you make, there are a lot of aspects to selling well online and making an attractive product is only one part of being successful. You have to be willing to learn (and continue to improve) other skills, such as product photography, how to use SEO to get your items found and how to effectively use social media. The great thing about selling online though is that its easy to start small and work your way up from there. Most often dont need a massive overhead to get started and the day to day running costs are quite small.

Where do you see your online shop in five years?

At the moment I sell on multiple online platforms which is all a bit higgledy piggledy. Ive just launched my own website at songoftheseam.com so in five years Id like my website to be the main hub of my online activity. Im currently working on a new blog to give visitors a peek behind the scenes in the day to day life of my workroom which is really exciting!

tell me about you shop?

I started selling online in 2011 with just a handful of products and really no clue what I was doing beyond the very basics. Things have changed a lot since then as Ive found my feet and really started to develop my own style and direction. Earlier this year I changed the name of my shop to Song of the Seam which, in a roundabout way, was inspired by the Thomas Hood poem The Song of the Shirt. I would describe my shop as a rather eclectic mix of colourful accessories and decor.  

 What is your design process?

Its a very informal process. I prefer to work things out as I go rather than designing something in full, on paper before I start. Usually it starts with an idea then I sit at the sewing machine with some fabric and start putting it together and making notes as I go. New designs are often born from old ones, in that I think about ways of adapting things to turn them into items with different uses.


shop website: songoftheseam.com


No comments:

Post a Comment